Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Power of Two Little Words

One of the challenging aspects of getting healthier is staying the course. The two little words "Oh well" help me do that.


If I don't feel like getting up early to go exercise, I can say "Oh well," and do it anyway.


If I don't feel like making a trip to the grocery store to buy more produce I can say "Oh well," and do it anyway.


If I wish I could be someone who eats endless amounts of food and doesn't gain an ounce, I can say "Oh well," and move on.


Saying "Oh well" helps me remain committed and not get caught up in ambivalence. It helps me not give much weight to negative thoughts that may arise.


I think "Oh well" is the adult version of my daughter's "Whatever" that she uses when she doesn't like my request or answer and needs to move on. :)


I believe it was in the Beck Diet Solution book that I first read about the power of oh well, so credit for this idea goes to Judith Beck. (see resources tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment