Wednesday, July 13, 2011

10 Pitfalls of Implementing Change

Day 9 - No Bingeing


I feel so ambivalent about my eating program. Part of me thinks summer is the time to really "get serious" and work hard at losing weight. The other part of me thinks that always leads to a rebound.  Currently I am just focusing on not bingeing. I don't expect that to bring me much weight loss. That would be fine if I could let go of the idea of losing weight but I can't.  


I really do want to be thinner.  Tiny even. I know if I really want it I have to commit 100% in a much more intense way. I know it will take hard work and sacrifice. Yet part of me thinks tougher isn't the answer.  


Last night I read about ambivalence in one of my books - This Year I Will (by M.J. Ryan) and she states that ambivalence is normal, therefore you should not take ambivalence as a sign you shouldn't move forward.  


Today I found another very helpful page in the book.  It lists the 10 pitfalls of making any change, such as weight loss, getting out of debt, becoming organized, working less, etc.


10 Pitfalls of Implementing Change


1.  Being vague about what you want.


2.  Not making a serious commitment.


3.  Procrastinating and making excuses - no time, wrong time, dog ate my homework.


4.  Being unwilling to go through the awkward phase.


5.  Not setting up a tracking and reminder system.


6.  Expecting perfection, falling into guilt, shame, regret.


7.  Trying to go it alone.


8.  Telling yourself self-limiting rut stories.


9.  Not having backup plans.


10.  Turning slip ups into give ups.


I am guilty of many of these. I think I will try to reflect (in a blog post) on one of these each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment