Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Believing and Choosing

When it comes right down to it, weight loss depends on two things - believing and choosing. I have to believe that I am capable of achieving my weight loss goals. Then, I have to choose behaviors to support my vision. I have to choose results.


When my choices falter, I think it is often because my belief falters first. Today for example, I found myself thinking "Why bother with all this? I should just maintain and try to be happy where I am. I am always going to be medium sized. I am never going to be tiny. It isn't worth all the effort. I just don't have a tiny frame." 


It is challenging to continue to believe in myself continually throughout the weight loss process. This is one of the reasons success stories are so inspirational for me. They shore up my belief that dramatic change is possible. 


When I read Slim Katie's story, I think that she probably didn't see herself as having a tiny frame either, yet look at her now! I imagine Ali Vincent felt the same way. Actually, Ali's mantra is "Believe it, be it!" so she must have found believing in herself to be the key to her ultimate success.


Even though I believe change is possible for other people, sometimes it is hard to believe I will ever achieve my goals. I know I can achieve some weight loss, but to actually reach my ultimate goal is questionable. I guess this comes from dieting so many times and then always eventually gaining weight. I have even achieved my WW goal weight before. But I have never felt good about my body. I felt better, but not really happy.


I swore I would get back to my healthy eating immediately after the holiday and instead I overdosed on cookies yesterday. Consequently, I feel like crap today. Today I am pulling myself up out of the gutter! I am going to exercise as soon as I finish this post. Exercise sometimes often helps me believe change is possible.


On a day like today, when I am just not believing it, the only thing I can think of is to just do it. That's why I have made my new mantra "I choose results". I want to re-envision myself as someone who chooses results, even when I don't feel like it.



3 comments:

  1. You're right, no WAY did I think I had a tiny frame under all that fat! I was shocked when my surgeon mentioned I have "such a tiny frame".

    I always used to tell myself that I had to "fake it 'til I make it"--meaning when I just didn't feel motivated, I would do it anyways and pretend I was motivated.

    You've been doing great, don't let a few cookies stop you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I OD'd on Monday. My stomach let me know it was NOT happy with all of the crap I shoved in it. Yesterday was a good day. Just have to keep stringing more of those days together to get back on track. I love the Nike motto- "Just do it!" We all know what we're supposed to do, so we just have to do it.

    I'm trying to get my sister to get on board. What do I say to her to get her back on track?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question Linda. I can only think of a few ideas. The first is to ask her to do it because you need a weight loss buddy. The second is to just ask thought provoking questions when the topic of weight comes up. Maybe something like - What has helped you be successful in the past? What is your biggest roadblock right now? Lastly,a nice empowering message is "You can do this and you WILL do it, when you decide you are ready." :)

    ReplyDelete