I have read (of course) about people completing races. Part of me would like to do that. The other part of me is stressed and intimidated. I just don't feel comfortable in athletic situations. They are anxiety provoking for me.
For example, when my daughter Emily ski races and I go to watch, I feel intensely uncomfortable in the ski lodge. I know it isn't rational. But somehow I feel as though I am surrounded by people in a club I don't fit into. It is silly really, particularly with skiing because there are definitely overweight skiers.
I wouldn't be worried about finishing, because I certainly wouldn't attempt a race unless I had trained thoroughly. I do think making the transition to running outside might be challenging, but if I set my mind to it I am sure I could do it. I just don't know about a race.
Either way though, I do feel good about being able to run 2 miles. I did it again today, so it definitely wasn't a fluke. :)
I look at it this way- I am only competing with myself. AND your first race is your Personal Record! Also, every race is attached to a charity or a cause. So, you're doing something good for your community while doing something good for yourself! There is an Autism Speaks 5k that I'm sure you would feel great supporting. In fact, if you sign up, I'll sign up for mine! Deal?
ReplyDeleteHave you watched the marathon episode of Biggest Loser yet? SO inspiring and will MAKE you want to try it. Michelle, there's no better feeling than crossing that finish line, no matter the distance! YOU CAN DO IT!
It's funny you say that Linda, I was just thinking that if I found one to benefit autism I would do it. :)
ReplyDeleteOk, I've been looking and I found a Jigsaw Run that's not very far from me. It's the EJ Autism Foundation 5th annual 4 mile run/walk. It's 4/22/12, only $25 to register. I think that will be my first race of the year then! I can't sign up for it right now since I just signed up for my half and I need to give the credit card a break! I will definitely tell my sister about this run/walk as well since it does benefit kids on LI with autism.
ReplyDelete