Last weekend I set a goal for myself to fit in 3 exercise sessions this week, even if the house fell down around me and I didn't get any lesson plans done. I did manage to fit in 3 treadmill sessions despite an unusually busy week.
I know many people say weight loss is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. But for me, I think exercise powers the weight loss engine in a mental way. When I exercise, I do a lot of positive visualizing and saying positive things to myself. I don't do this at other times. Therefore I think exercise fuels my weight loss efforts. The million dollar question is why do I have to keep learning these lessons over and over? Why can't I remember them and hang onto them??
My goal for the upcoming week is to exercise 3 times again AND to complete 7 days of tracking my food. I usually track for 3-4 days and then bag it - feeling like I've "got it down". So this week I am going to track for all 7 days, including Thanksgiving. However, I am not going to shoot for a particular points/calorie goal just yet. I am just going to work on tracking.
My Thanksgiving plan is to make the day one of my exercise days. I am going to eat reasonable portions of all the foods I want (including gravy) and one reasonable dessert portion. That feels right to me. Oh, and I will not let the holiday bleed into the day before or after. :)
Atta girl! I feel exactly the same way you do about exercise! I really think they go hand in hand. Losing weight is so much harder trying to do it with one or the other. Exercising keeps my eating better on track. It's like I don't want to the negate the good work I did in the gym with bad food choices. It is also one of the best stress relievers, and we all know that stress is probably the biggest trigger for overeating and binging!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have a plan for Thanksgiving. I need to do that! I come from a huge family and we all bring an appetizer, a side, a dessert... OY!! Last year my husband and I went out for a run in the morning- I think I'd like to make that a tradition. My gym is open until 1 pm!